Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> 32 int64 buckets is only 256 bytes, so a thousand histograms would be less
> than a quarter of a MB.  Any machine that busy, would likely have many GB's
> of RAM.  I have 32 GB on my development machine.

Who wants to just run with a thousand entries? I have many small
instances running on AWS where that actually is an appreciable amount
of memory. Individually, any addition to pg_stat_statements shared
memory use looks small, but that doesn't mean we want every possible
thing. Futhermore, you're assuming that this is entirely a matter of
how much memory we use out of how much is available, and I don't
understand it that way.

--
Peter Geoghegan