Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> Really? The pre-check thing wasn't too complex for Magnus to have a
> couple of bullet points on it *specifically* in his high level NYC
> talk on Postgres 9.5 features [1]. I don't think it's hard to
> understand at all.
>
> Also, it's simply incorrect to describe abbreviation as: "Improve the
> speed of sorting character and numeric fields". Character fields
> presumably include character(n), and as I pointed out character(n)
> lacks abbreviation support.

Where are we on this? Bruce mentioned that he'd revisit this during pgCon.

Aside from the issue of whether or not the pre-check thing is
mentioned, and aside from the issue of correctly identifying which
types the abbreviation optimization applies to, I have another
concern: I cannot imagine why we'd fail to mention a totally
independent speed up of about 10% [1] for CREATE INDEX on integer
columns. This speed-up has nothing to do with abbreviation or anything
else mentioned in the 9.5 release notes currently; it's down to commit
5ea86e6e, which extended sortsupport to work with cases like CREATE
INDEX and CLUSTER.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/545AC1D9.1040009@proxel.se
--
Peter Geoghegan