Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Ian Barwick <ian@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Howver in this particular use case, as long as it doesn't produce false
> positives (I haven't looked at the patch) I don't think it would cause
> any problems (of the kind which would require actively excluding certain
> languages/character sets), it just wouldn't be quite as useful.

I'm not sure what you mean by false positives. The patch just shows a
HINT, where before there was none. It's possible for any number of
reasons that it isn't the most useful possible suggestion, since
Levenshtein distance is used as opposed to any other scheme that might
be better sometimes. I think that the hint given is a generally useful
piece of information in the event of an ERRCODE_UNDEFINED_COLUMN
error. Obviously I think the patch is worthwhile, but fundamentally
the HINT given is just a guess, as with the existing HINTs.

--
Peter Geoghegan