Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Yeah.  The other problem is that stuff that's actually small doesn't tend
> to hang around undone for long, so there's not really a broad array of
> stuff just waiting for someone to have a little time.  If we had a more
> actively maintained TODO list, it would largely contain (a) stuff that
> there's insufficient consensus on, and (b) stuff that's just big mean and
> nasty to implement.

I think that some friendly advice to less experienced contributors
about a good project for them to work on is enormously valuable, which
is why I try to do that whenever I can. Unfortunately, and perversely,
the TODO list is pretty far from that. Things go on the todo list
because they don't have a favorable cost/benefit ratio. I wouldn't
suggest a project to anyone that I would not be willing to work on
myself, which excludes most items on the TODO list.

--
Peter Geoghegan