Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> > It's also make it a lot harder to use in other extensions, something
>> > that's already an issue with hstore.
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> Extensions can't depend on other extensions directly- hence you can't
> write an extension that depends on hstore, which sucks.  It'd be
> preferrable to not have that issue w/ json/jsonb/whatever.

I think it depends of what you mean by "depend". The earthdistance
extension "requires" 'cube', for example, "a data type cube for
representing multidimensional cubes". Although I am aware of the
lengths that drivers like psycopg2 go to to support hstore because
it's an extension, which is undesirable.

--
Peter Geoghegan