Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
Re: jsonb and nested hstore  (Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>> It does sound like the main question here is which opclass should be
>> the default. From the discussion there's a jsonb_hash_ops which works
>> on all input values but supports fewer operators and a jsonb_ops which
>> supports more operators but can't handle json with larger individual
>> elements. Perhaps it's better to make jsonb_hash_ops the default so at
>> least it's always safe to create a default gin index?
>
> Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to change the default.

I must admit that I'm coming around to the view that jsonb_hash_ops
would make a better default. Its performance is superb, and I think
there's a strong case to be made for that more than making up for it
not supporting all indexable operators - the existence operators just
aren't that useful in comparison.

--
Peter Geoghegan