Re: Possible index issue on 9.5 slave - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Possible index issue on 9.5 slave
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Still, it should be possible to
>> determine if that's the problem using btreecheck.
>
> Does btreecheck attempt to verify that the sort ordering of the index
> matches the comparison behavior of the datatype?  That would (in general)
> require calling user-defined code, which seems like probably a pretty
> bad idea for the purposes btreecheck is being advertised for.

Yes, it does, but I see no alternative for a general-purpose tool, and
the fact that it is general purpose is of considerable value. I have
more or less invented my own weird index scans.

I assume you're referring to the field-verification of indexes use
case, which is not an immediate goal of btreecheck, even though it's
an important goal that there has already been some discussion of.

--
Peter Geoghegan