Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> > 0 for a transposition, wow.
>>
>> Again, they're optimizing for short strings (git commands) only. There
>> just isn't that many transposition errors possible with a 4 character
>> string.
>
> If there's logic in your statement, I can't see it.

The point is that transposition errors should not have no cost. If git
did not have an absolute quality test of a distance of 6, which they
can only have because all git commands are terse, then you could
construct a counter example.

--
Peter Geoghegan