Re: logical changeset generation v6.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: logical changeset generation v6.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's try that again.
>
> User: Wow, that sounds great.  How do I use it?
> Hacker: Well, currently, the output gets dumped as a series of text
> files that are designed to be parsed using a scripting language.  We
> have sample parsers written in Perl and Python that you can use as-is
> or hack up to meet your needs.

Have you heard of multicorn? Plugin authors can write a wrapper that
spits out JSON or whatever other thing they like, which can be
consumed by non C-hackers.

> Now, some users are still going to head for the hills.  But at least
> from where I sit it sounds a hell of a lot better than the first
> answer.  We're not going to solve all of the tooling problems around
> this technology in one release, for sure.  But as far as 95% of our
> users are concerned, a C API might as well not exist at all.  People
> WILL try to machine parse the output of whatever demo plugins we
> provide; so I think we should try hard to provide at least one such
> plugin that is designed to make that as easy as possible.

I agree that this is important, but I wouldn't like to weigh it too heavily.

--
Peter Geoghegan