Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
Date
Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> Looks definitely bimodal in the log version, very clear!
>
> Yes, I feel that having a 32 log binary binned histogram (as Alvaro Herrera
> suggested) would be very useful.

I'm having a hard time imagining how you'd actually implement that.
For example, this:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Aggregate_Histogram

requires that a "limit" be specified ahead of time. Is there a
principled way to increase or decrease this kind of limit over time,
and have the new buckets contents "spill into each other"?

--
Peter Geoghegan