Re: Removing the TRACE_SORT macro - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Removing the TRACE_SORT macro
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not excited about this change.  It doesn't really buy us anything
> that I can see.  For one thing, I think we've arguably got too much
> trace_sort output from sorts now and should look to reduce that
> instead of further normalizing it.  For another thing, the only
> advantage to removing it is that it makes it easier to add even more,
> and we're not going to do that in 9.6.  If we decide to do it in 9.7,
> we can consider the proposal to remove TRACE_SORT calls then.  There
> is just nothing urgent about this.

Of course it isn't urgent. I seem to have significant difficulty
getting proposals accepted that are not urgent, even if they are
important. While this proposal isn't important, it also isn't hard or
in any way risky or time consuming. I just want to get rid of the
TRACE_SORT crud. That's all.

I'll put it on my long-term TODO list.

--
Peter Geoghegan