Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> I think it's very possible that the wrong alias may be provided by the
> user, and that we should consider that when providing a hint.

Note that the existing mechanism (the mechanism that I'm trying to
improve) only ever shows this error message:

"There is a column named \"%s\" in table \"%s\", but it cannot be
referenced from this part of the query."

I think it's pretty clear that this general class of user error is common.
--
Peter Geoghegan