Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I certainly like that better than poor-man; but proxy, to me, fails to
> convey inexactness.  Perhaps we can work that idea in somehow.  Or
> maybe "pre"-something, to indicate that we do this before comparing
> the regular key, in the hopes of not needing to.

Well, these normalized keys are sometimes sufficient to give correct
answers, or are sufficient to determine that that isn't possible with
just their representation. That is pretty exact.

How about "delegate key"? That's a similar term to proxy key, but is
more strongly suggestive of the idea that these keys are in some sense
inferior to original keys.
--
Peter Geoghegan