Re: PATCH: default_index_tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: PATCH: default_index_tablespace
Date
List pgsql-hackers
applications,and in particular existing pg_dump output files, which<br /> > expect to be able to determine an
index'stablespace by setting<br /> > "default_tablespace".  (It is *not* adequate that the code falls back<br />
>to "default_tablespace" if the new GUC is unset; if it is set, you've<br /> > still broken pg_dump.)  The
incrementalvalue, if indeed there is any,<br /> > of being able to control index positioning this way seems unlikely
to<br/> > justify a backwards-compatibility break of such magnitude.<p dir="ltr">Just brainstorming here but that
justmeans "default_tablespace" needs to take precedence. We could have a default_table_tablespace and
default_index_tablespacewhich default_tablespace overrides. Or we could allow a mini config language in
default_tablespacelike "table=space1,index=space2".