Re: Decrease MAX_BACKENDS to 2^16 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Decrease MAX_BACKENDS to 2^16
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Since there's absolutely no sensible scenario for setting
> max_connections that high, I'd like to change the limit to 2^16, so we
> can use a uint16 in BufferDesc->refcount.

Clearly there's no sensible way to run 64k backends in the current
architecture. But I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility
that we'll reduce the overhead in the future with an eye to being able
to do that. Is it that helpful that it's worth baking in more
dependencies on that limitation?

--
greg