Re: Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I think having a GUC to change to a different set of semantics is not workable.

However that doesn't mean we can't do anything. We could have a GUC
that just disables allowing creating columns of type timestamp without
tz. That could print an error with a hint suggesting you can change
the variable if you really want to allow them.

I still would hesitate to make it the default but admins could set it
to help their developers.

You could maybe imagine a set of parameters to disable various options
that can be seen as undesirable features that sites may not want their
developers accidentally introducing.

That said, even disabling a feature is a semantic change. Consider for
example an extension that did make use of some feature. To be portable
and reliable it would have to start with a block of temporary GUC
settings to ensure it worked properly on user databases where various
settings may be in place. But that's a lot easier to manage than
subtle behavioural changes.