Re: COUNT(*) and index-only scans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: COUNT(*) and index-only scans
Date
Re: COUNT(*) and index-only scans
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> My intention was to allow it to consider any covering index.  You're
> thinking about the cost estimate, which is really entirely different.

Is there any reason to consider more than one? I would have expected
the narrowest one to be the best choice. There's something to be said
for using the same index consistently but we already have that problem
and make no attempt to do that. And partial indexes might be better
but then we would already be considering them if their constraints are
satisfied.

--
greg