Re: Commitfest 2022-03 Patch Triage Part 1a.i - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Commitfest 2022-03 Patch Triage Part 1a.i
Date
Re: Commitfest 2022-03 Patch Triage Part 1a.i
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 at 07:12, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> Thanks for picking it up and continuing with recent developments.  Let me know
> if you want a hand in triaging patchsets.

While I have the time there may be patches I may need help coming to
the right conclusions about what actions to take.

I think the main thing I can do to help is to take patches that have
no chance of making this release and taking them off our collective
plates. -- Hopefully after they've received feedback but as this is
the last commitfest of the release that's a secondary concern.

But I'm unclear exactly what the consequences in the commitfest app
are of specific state changes. As I understand it there are basically
two alternatives:

1) Returned with feedback -- does this make it harder for an author to
resume work release? Can they simply reactivate the CF entry or do
they need to start a new one and then lose history in the app?

2) Moved to next commitfest -- this seems to just drag the pain on.
Then it has to get triaged again next commitfest and if it's actually
stalled (or progressing fine without needing feedback) that's just
extra work for nothing.

Do I have this right? What is the right state to put a patch in that
means "this patch doesn't need to be triaged again unless the author
actually feels progress has been made and needs new feedback or thinks
its committable"?

--
greg