Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)
Date
In response to Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: add log messages when replication slots become active and inactive (was Re: Is it worth adding ReplicationSlot active_pid to ReplicationSlotPersistentData?)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 at 23:30, Bharath Rupireddy

> > + ereport(log_replication_commands ? LOG : DEBUG3,
> > + (errmsg("acquired physical replication slot \"%s\"",
> > + slotname)));

So this is just a bit of bike-shedding but I don't feel like these log
messages really meet the standard we set for our logging. Like what
did the acquiring? What does "acquired" actually mean for a
replication slot? Is there not any meta information about the
acquisition that can give more context to the reader to make this
message more meaningful?

I would expect a log message like this to say, I dunno, something like
"physical replication slot \"%s\" acquired by streaming TCP connection
to 192.168.0.1:999 at LSN ... with xxxMB of logs to read"

I even would be wondering if the other end shouldn't also be logging a
corresponding log and we shouldn't be going out of our way to ensure
there's enough information to match them up and presenting them in a
way that makes that easy.

--
greg