Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
Re: Materialized views WIP patch  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Materialized views WIP patch  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: Materialized views WIP patch  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Materialized views WIP patch  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> More generally, I would consider the invalidation of a materialized view
> a DDL command, whereas truncating a table is a DML command.

That's not entirely true. From the database's point of view, TRUNCATE
is in many ways actually DDL.

I actually don't really dislike using "TRUNCATE" for this command. I
was more asking about whether this meant people were thinking of the
view as a thing where you could control the data in it by hand and
could have the view be "empty" rather than just "not valid".

The way I was thinking about it, whatever the command is named, you
might be able to tell the database to drop the storage associated with
the view but that would make the view invalid until it was refreshed.
It wouldn't make it appear to be empty.

--
greg