Re: Summary of plans to avoid the annoyance of Freezing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Summary of plans to avoid the annoyance of Freezing
Date
Re: Summary of plans to avoid the annoyance of Freezing  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> My vote is that we should try to get freeze maps into 9.6 - that seems
> more realistic given that we have a patch right now. Yes, it might end
> up being superflous churn, but it's rather localized. I think around
> we've put off significant incremental improvements off with the promise
> of more radical stuff too often.

Superfluous churn in the code isn't too bad. But superfluous churn in
data formats might be a bit more scary. Would we be able to handle
pg_upgrade from a database with or without a freezemap? Would you have
to upgrade once to add the freezemap then again to remove it?

--
greg