Re: Minmax indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Minmax indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:51 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> Implementing something is a good way to demonstrate how it would look like.
> But no, I don't insist on implementing every possible design whenever a new
> feature is proposed.
>
> I liked Greg's sketch of what the opclass support functions would be. It
> doesn't seem significantly more complicated than what's in the patch now.

As a counter-point to my own point there will be nothing stopping us
in the future from generalizing things. Dealing with catalogs is
mostly book-keeping headaches and careful work. it's something that
might be well-suited for a GSOC or first patch from someone looking to
familiarize themselves with the system architecture. It's hard to
invent a whole new underlying infrastructure at the same time as
dealing with all that book-keeping and it's hard for someone
familiarizing themselves with the system to also have a great new
idea. Having tasks like this that are easy to explain and that mentor
understands well can be easier to manage than tasks where the newcomer
has some radical new idea.

--
greg