Re: WIP: About CMake v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should merge all of the makefiles for subdirectories of
> src/backend into a single makefile.  The major disadvantage would be
> that you couldn't rebuild a subdirectory any more by typing make -C
> src/backend/executor or whatever.  And I do do that sometimes, so
> maybe it would be annoying, but presumably it would make the
> dependency issues a lot easier to deal with.

Actually I think it's possible to cater to that use case though I've
never tried.

What I think does become difficult in this scenario are directories
that are built more than once, eg, for client and server side builds.
I guess you could still do it but it would require doubling up every
rule and creating lots of extra targets representing the two builds
since you can't just call make with different variables.

It is tempting and I've been wanting to evalangize this approach ever
since read http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf but I've never
actually had practical experience with it and iirc it's always this
scenario of wanting to compile submodules multiple times that blocked
using it.

--
greg