Re: postgres large database backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vijaykumar Jain
Subject Re: postgres large database backup
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022, 9:10 PM Atul Kumar <akumar14871@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I have a 10TB database running on postgres 11 version running on centos 7 "on premises", I need to schedule the backup of this database in a faster way.

The scheduled backup will be used for PITR purposes.

So please let me know how I should do it in a quicker backup for my 10TB database ? Is there any tool to take backups and subsequently incremental backups in a faster way and restore it for PITR in a faster way when required.

What should be the exact approach for scheduling such backups so that it can be restored in a faster way ?

We had a 96 cpu, 385gb ram, nvme storage and 10g network baremetal server.
We used pgbackrest for full backup.
It supports pitr and differential backup.

28tb db took 2.5 hours for backup on remote storage, and restore from the remote storage  took 3.5 hours when immediately restored (a lot of time is later due to wal replay to catch up)

pg_basebackup took 9 hours.