Re: max_connections different between primary and standby: is it possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vijaykumar Jain
Subject Re: max_connections different between primary and standby: is it possible?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 3:07 PM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
running PostgreSQL 14, physical replication with slot, after changing
(increasing) the max_connections on the primary, I had this message at
a restart from the standby:

DETAIL:  max_connections = 100 is a lower setting than on the primary
server, where its value was 300.

and the standby does not start until I raise also its max_connections.
Why is PostgreSQL requiring the max_connections to be aligned between
the primary and the standby?

Thanks,
Luca

No. iirc, It has to be the same on all nodes in the physical replication setup.

But if vis pgbouncer, you can maintain the same max_connection but alter active front-end backend connections.