[DOCS] pg_restore option data-only and section=data - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Kenichiro Tanaka
Subject [DOCS] pg_restore option data-only and section=data
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hello,pgsql-docs

I'd like to propose improving following the description of PostgerSQL
documentation.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/app-pgrestore.html

This option is similar to, but for historical reasons not identical to,
specifying --section=data.

I think this description is ambiguous for postgresql user(not Hacker).
In fact, my customer inquired our support "What is the difference
between  '--section=data' and --data-only ?".

I've read this git comment.

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=4317e0246c645f60c39e6572644cff1cb03b4c65
Rewrite --section option to decouple it from --schema-only/--data-only.

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=5110a96992e508b220a7a6ab303b0501c4237b4a
This fixes an undesirable inconsistency between
the meanings of "--data-only" and "--section=data"

Now,there is no difference  between '--section=data' and --data-only "
from the view point of user .Because they make same output.
(But internal procedure is different.)

So how about  changing description from

"This option is similar to, but for historical reasons not identical
to, specifying --section=data."

"This option makes same result which --section=data makes, but
internal procedure is different for historical reasons"

Regard Kenichiro Tanaka