Re: A problem with dump/restore of views containing whole row references - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Abbas Butt
Subject Re: A problem with dump/restore of views containing whole row references
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Right, what I'm asking is whether or not we actually want that side
> effect in all cases, and specifically in this case where it's clearly
> not necessary.

We could dodge that case by only changing the behavior when showstar is
false; there is no need to change it otherwise.  The patch has assorted
other bugs too, in particular its schema-name treatment seems completely
wrong (hint: RelationIsVisible is not the same as TypeIsVisible, and
it's at best shaky to assume that a relation's name is the same as its
rowtype's name anyway).

More generally, it seems rather inelegant to be forcibly adding a cast
when in most cases the existing notation is not wrong.  AFAICS the
plain "relname" notation is only ambiguous if there is a column of the
same name as the relation.  I wonder whether we should instead address
this by not letting the parser strip the "no op" cast in the first
place.

You mean that the parser should not strip the "no op" cast in all cases or in the case only when the parser somehow detects a column of the same name as the relation?

Abbas
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company