9.2.4: Strange behavior when wildcard is on left side of search string - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From ERR ORR
Subject 9.2.4: Strange behavior when wildcard is on left side of search string
Date
Re: 9.2.4: Strange behavior when wildcard is on left side of search string  (Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

this is with 9.2.4_PGDG / FC18 / 64bit upgraded from 9.1.8 via
dump/restore, settings kept for the most part.

Table has 1.5M records, the varchar(100) field in question has a *
varchar_ops* and a *varchar_pattern_ops* btree index.

3 Cases:

   - "MYFIELD" like 'BLA BLA *%*': *OK, about 7 msec*
   - "MYFIELD" like 'BLA *%* BLA': *OK, about 20 msec*
   - "MYFIELD" like '*%* BLA BLA': *NOT OK*

In the third case, the query will take anywhere between 4200ms and over
83Kms ms to deliver 2 results, in one case I broke it off after 10 MINUTES.
I never noticed this sort of behavior in the 9.x series.

According to explain, the query resolves into an index-only scan. I tried
to turn this off to
see how it behaves but the toggle in the .conf apparently has no effect.

What I find interesting is that, whereas with the default it would resolve
into an index-only scan on the *varchar_pattern_ops* index, after setting
indexscan_only=off, it would resolve into
an index-only scan on the *varchar_ops* index.

Another peculiarity is that the Explain for the bad case does not display
the "Sort" icon for the order-by clause, whereas the OK cases do display it.

Also, the problem does not appear to be a resource problem, as I have the
settings and resources to pull that whole table plus indexes into RAM, yet
still, there is constant disk activity during the query in the bad case.

And, yes, I DID reindex and/or *vacuum verbose analyze* the table after
each relevant change.

Thanks for any feedback on this. If you need any further info I'll be happy
to help as possible.

RD