Re: archive_timeout runtime change - Mailing list pgsql-general

From raghu ram
Subject Re: archive_timeout runtime change
Date
List pgsql-general

2011/10/20 Birta Levente <blevi.linux@gmail.com>
Hi

I use postgrsql 9.1.1 and I want to change archive_timeout on a running server. My default archive_timeout is 1800s, and nightly I want to change to 3600s or more, but I get the following error message:

set archive_timeout='3600';
ERROR:  parameter "archive_timeout" cannot be changed now

and

update pg_settings set setting='900' where name='archive_timeout';
ERROR:  parameter "archive_timeout" cannot be changed now

I know is possible to change this parameter with pg_ctl reload, but I think if is possible without changing the conf file.

postgres=# select name,setting,context from pg_settings where name like '%archive%';
           name            |                   setting                    |  context
 archive_timeout           | 0                                            | sighup

You have to edit the configuration file and then reload the Database server to affect these changes. You can't change the "archive_timeout" value without editing the PostgreSQL.conf file.

Below link describes,changing the postgresql.conf from a script:

--Raghu