Re: [PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From dinesh kumar
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2015-09-03 21:45:52 +0530, dinesh kumar wrote:
> Forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp, for each "INFO" entry. This was
> raised already in this
> <http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20031110162349.65542.qmail@web21408.mail.yahoo.com>
> thread, and wanted to discuss it again. I didn't see any replies on this
> old thread.

Unconvinced - sounds like you're just re-inventing log_line_prefix.

Thanks for your inputs.

I thought, it will be helpful without modifying the log_min_messages parameter. Otherwise, we have to run the vacuum verbose, by modifying the log_min_messages at session level, which will be recorded in pg_log.

If we allow VERBOSE to log timestamp, we can have it in stdout, which can be diverted to a required log file. This will be useful for the vacuumdb binary too.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Dinesh

Greetings,