Re: postgres_fdw: Obsolete comments in GetConnection() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: postgres_fdw: Obsolete comments in GetConnection()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 2:35 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:

> While working on something else, I noticed $SUBJECT, which I should
> have updated in commit 27e1f1456.  :-(  There are two places that need
> to be updated, but in the first place the second one seemed a bit
> redundant to me, because it says the same thing as the first one, and
> is placed pretty close to the first one within 10 lines or so.  So I
> rewrote the second one entirely into something much more simple like
> the attached.

+1 for rewording the comments. Here are my thoughts on the patch:

1) Just to be consistent(we are using this word in the error message,
and in other comments around there), how about
+ * Determine whether to try to reestablish the connection.
instead of
+ * Determine whether to try to remake the connection later.

2) Just to be consistent, how about
+ * cases where we're starting new transaction (not subtransaction),
if a broken connection is
instead of
+ * cases where we're out of all transactions, if a broken connection is

3) IMO we don't need the word "later" here because we are immediately
reestablishing the connection, if it is decided to do so.
+ * Determine whether to try to remake the connection later.
The word "later" here in the comment below makes sense but not in the
above comment.
+ * detected, we try to reestablish a new connection later.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.