Re: Adding doubly linked list type which stores the number of items in the list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Adding doubly linked list type which stores the number of items in the list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 12:44 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 19:05, Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, when an overflow occurs, the head->count wraps around after
> > PG_UINT32_MAX, meaning, becomes 0 and we will catch it in an assert
> > build. This looks reasonable to me. However, the responsibility lies
> > with the developers to deal with such overflows.
>
> I'm not sure what the alternatives are here.  One of the advantages of
> dlist over List is that there are no memory allocations to add a node
> which is already allocated onto a list.  lappend() might need to
> enlarge the list, which means you can't do that in a critical section.

Using uint64 is one option to allow many elements, however, I'm also
fine with removing the overflow assertions Assert(head->count > 0);
/* count overflow check */ altogether and let the callers take the
responsibility. dlist_* and dclist_* callers already have another
responsibility - Caution: 'foo' must be a member of 'head'.

> It's currently OK to add an item to a dlist in a critical section,
> however, if we add an elog(ERROR) then it won't be.

dlist_check() and dlist_member_check() have an elog(ERROR) and the
above statement isn't true in case of ILIST_DEBUG-defined builds.

> The best I think
> we can do is to just let the calling code ensure that it only uses
> dlist when it's certain that there can't be more than 2^32 items to
> store at once.

Right.

+ * able to store a maximum of PG_UINT32_MAX elements.  It is up to the caller
+ * to ensure no more than this many items are added to a dclist.

The above comment seems fine to me, if we really want to enforce any
overflow checks on non-debug, non-assert builds, it might add some
costs to dclist_* functions.

> > I'm wondering if adding count to dlist_head and maintaining it as part
> > of the existing dlist_* data structure and functions is any better
> > than introducing dclist_*? In that case, we need only one function,
> > dlist_count, no? Or do we choose to go dclist_* because we want to
> > avoid the extra cost of maintaining count within dlist_*? If yes, is
> > maintaining count in dlist_* really costly?
>
> I have a few reasons for not wanting to do that:
>
> 1) I think dlist operations are very fast at the moment.  The fact
> that the functions are static inline tells me the function call
> overhead matters. Therefore, it's likely maintaining a count also
> matters.
> 2) Code bloat.  The functions are static inline. That means all
> compiled code that adds or removes an item from a dlist would end up
> larger. That results in more instruction cache misses.

This seems a fair point to me.

> 3) I've no reason to believe that all call sites that do
> dlist_delete() have the ability to know which list the node is on.
> Just look at ReorderBufferAssignChild().  I decided to not convert the
> subtxns dlist into a dclist as the subtransaction sometimes seems to
> go onto the top transaction list before it's moved to the sub-txn's
> list.
> 4) There's very little or no scope for bugs in dclist relating to the
> dlist implementation as all that stuff is done by just calling the
> dlist_* functions.  The only scope is really that it could call the
> wrong dlist_* function.  It does not seem terribly hard to ensure we
> don't write any bugs like that.

Right.

> > Thanks. The v3 patch looks good to me.
>
> Great. Thanks for having a look.

I will take another look at v3 tomorrow and probably mark it RfC.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team