Re: Refactor backup related code (was: Is it correct to say, "invalid data in file \"%s\"", BACKUP_LABEL_FILE in do_pg_backup_stop?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Refactor backup related code (was: Is it correct to say, "invalid data in file \"%s\"", BACKUP_LABEL_FILE in do_pg_backup_stop?)
Date
In response to Re: Refactor backup related code (was: Is it correct to say, "invalid data in file \"%s\"", BACKUP_LABEL_FILE in do_pg_backup_stop?)  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Re: Refactor backup related code (was: Is it correct to say, "invalid data in file \"%s\"", BACKUP_LABEL_FILE in do_pg_backup_stop?)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 7:20 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> The main regression test suite should not include direct calls to
> pg_backup_start() or pg_backup_stop() as these depend on wal_level,
> and we spend a certain amount of resources in keeping the tests a
> maximum portable across such configurations, wal_level = minimal being
> one of them.  One portable example is in 001_stream_rep.pl.

Understood.

> > That's a good idea. I'm marking a flag if the label name overflows (>
> > MAXPGPATH), later using it in do_pg_backup_start() to error out. We
> > could've thrown error directly, but that changes the behaviour - right
> > now, first "
> > wal_level must be set to \"replica\" or \"logical\" at server start."
> > gets emitted and then label name overflow error - I don't want to do
> > that.
>
> -   if (strlen(backupidstr) > MAXPGPATH)
> +   if (state->name_overflowed == true)
>         ereport(ERROR,
>                 (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
>                  errmsg("backup label too long (max %d bytes)",
> It does not strike me as a huge issue to force a truncation of such
> backup label names.  1024 is large enough for basically all users,
> in my opinion.  Or you could just truncate in the internal logic, but
> still complain at MAXPGPATH - 1 as the last byte would be for the zero
> termination.  In short, there is no need to complicate things with
> name_overflowed.

We currently allow MAXPGPATH bytes of label name excluding null
termination. I don't want to change this behaviour. In the attached v9
patch, I'm truncating the larger names to  MAXPGPATH + 1 bytes in
backup state (one extra byte for representing that the name has
overflown, and another extra byte for null termination).

> +   StringInfo      backup_label;   /* backup_label file contents */
> +   StringInfo      tablespace_map; /* tablespace_map file contents */
> +   StringInfo      history_file;   /* history file contents */
> IMV, repeating a point I already made once upthread, BackupState
> should hold none of these.  Let's just generate the contents of these
> files in the contexts where they are needed, making BackupState
> something to rely on to build them in the code paths where they are
> necessary.  This is going to make the reasoning around the memory
> contexts where each one of them is stored much easier and reduce the
> changes of bugs in the long-term.

I've separated out these variables from the backup state, please see
the attached v9 patch.

> > I've also taken help of the error callback mechanism to clean up the
> > allocated memory in case of a failure. For do_pg_abort_backup() cases,
> > I think we don't need to clean the memory because that gets called on
> > proc exit (before_shmem_exit()).
>
> Memory could still bloat while the process running the SQL functions
> is running depending on the error code path, anyway.

I didn't get your point. Can you please elaborate it? I think adding
error callbacks at the right places would free up the memory for us.
Please note that we already are causing memory leaks on HEAD today.

I addressed the above review comments. I also changed a wrong comment
[1] that lies before pg_backup_start() even after the removal of
exclusive backup.

I'm attaching v9 patch set herewith, 0001 - refactors the backup code
with backup state, 0002 - adds error callbacks to clean up the memory
allocated for backup variables. Please review them further.

[1]
 * Essentially what this does is to create a backup label file in $PGDATA,
 * where it will be archived as part of the backup dump.  The label file
 * contains the user-supplied label string (typically this would be used
 * to tell where the backup dump will be stored) and the starting time and
 * starting WAL location for the dump.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team