Re: Why is specifying oids = false multiple times in create table is silently ignored? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Why is specifying oids = false multiple times in create table is silently ignored?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 5:56 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > It would be weird to error out while parsing a no-op option, no?
> >
> > There is an argument to be made both ways here.

> > > If you look at transformReloptions(), the no-op code is just a hack. Such a
> > > patch should add 'oids' as a reloption to test for multiple occurrences.
> > > Although, CREATE TABLE says you can use 'oids=false', Storage Parameters
> > > section does not mention it as a parameter. The code is fine as is.
> >
> > But I agree with letting what we have here as it is, per the same
> > argument of upthread that this could just break stuff for free, and
> > that's not a maintenance burden either.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Given that this case didn't error out before the OIDs removal, it seems
> like it'd be really strange to make it error out in the compat code...

Agreed to not error out for a no-op case i.e. with (oids = false, oids
= false). Thank you all for providing thoughts. I'm ending the
discussion here.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.