Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 9:47 PM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:

> > However, I am mainly looking for feedback about whether or not others
> > would find this useful, and, if so, what columns they would like to see
> > in the returned tuplestore.

IMO, pg_get_wal_records_extended_info as proposed doesn't look good to
me as it outputs most of the columns that are already given by
pg_get_wal_records_info.What I think the best way at this point is to
make it return the following:
lsn pg_lsn
block_id int8
spcOid oid
dbOid oid
relNumber oid
forkNames text
fpi bytea
fpi_info text

So, there can be multiple columns for the same record LSN, which
means, essentially (lsn, block_id) can be a unique value for the row.
If a block has FPI, fpi and fpi_info are non-null, otherwise, nulls.
If needed, this output can be joined with pg_get_wal_records_info on
lsn, to get all the record level details.What do you think? Will this
serve your purpose?

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team