Re: Allow pg_signal_backend members to use pg_log_backend_memory_stats(). - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Allow pg_signal_backend members to use pg_log_backend_memory_stats().
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 9:43 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you think pg_signal_backend is the wrong group to allow usage of
> > pg_log_backend_memory_contexts()? Alternatively, it could simply not
>
> Yes. I think it would be danger that who is allowed to dump memory
> context into log files by granting pg_signal_backend also can
> terminate other backends.
>
> > pg_log_backend_memory_contexts()? Alternatively, it could simply not
> > GRANT anything, and leave that up to the administrator to choose who
> > can use it.
>
> *I* prefer that. I'm not sure I'm the only one to think so, though..

How about we have a separate predefined role for the functions that
deal with server logs? I'm not sure if Mark Dilger's patch on new
predefined roles has one, if not, how about something like
pg_write_server_log/pg_manage_server_log/some other name?

If not with a new predefined role, how about expanding the scope of
existing pg_write_server_files role?

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.