Re: Skip ExecCheckRTPerms in CTAS with no data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Skip ExecCheckRTPerms in CTAS with no data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 12:59 PM Peter Eisentraut

> > INSERT to materialized views is not supported, but perhaps you mean
> > having a variant of auto updatable for matviews?  I am not sure how to
> > clearly define that.
>
> Not currently, but it could be a future feature.  Basically an insert
> would be passed on to the underlying tables (using INSTEAD triggers),
> and then a refresh would be triggered automatically.

Sounds interesting! Just a thought: I think instead of just auto
updating/refreshing materialized view for every single row inserted,
maybe we could do it for a bunch of rows.

If not with triggers, another way to achieve the auto updatable
matviews functionality is by having a dedicated bgworker(which is by
default switched off/not spawned). This worker can get the list of
matviews and if the amount of rows changed in the underlying tables
crosses a certain configurable limit, then refresh them using existing
refresh matview infrastructure. Thoughts?

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.