Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures
Date
In response to Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Responses Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 1:37 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 09:32:19PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > Okay, here's the v5 patch that I could come up with. It basically adds
> > functions for dissecting WAL file names and computing offset from lsn.
> > Thoughts?
>
> I had a second look at that, and I still have mixed feelings about the
> addition of the SQL function, no real objection about
> pg_dissect_walfile_name().
>
> I don't really think that we need a specific handling with a new
> macro from xlog_internal.h that does its own parsing of the segment
> number while XLogFromFileName() can do that based on the user input,
> so I have simplified that.
>
> A second thing is the TLI that had better be returned as int8 and not
> int4 so as we don't have a negative number for a TLI higher than 2B in
> a WAL segment name.

Thanks. The v6 patch LGTM.

--
Bharath Rupireddy