Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication (was: Disallow quorum uncommitted (with synchronous standbys) txns in logical replication subscribers) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication (was: Disallow quorum uncommitted (with synchronous standbys) txns in logical replication subscribers)
Date
In response to Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication (was: Disallow quorum uncommitted (with synchronous standbys) txns in logical replication subscribers)  (Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication (was: Disallow quorum uncommitted (with synchronous standbys) txns in logical replication subscribers)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 12:27 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 06:45:51PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 9:37 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> For
> >> this feature, I think we always need to consider what the primary considers
> >> synchronously replicated.  My suggested approach doesn't change that.  I'm
> >> saying that instead of spinning in a loop waiting for the WAL to be
> >> synchronously replicated, we just immediately send WAL up to the LSN that
> >> is presently known to be synchronously replicated.
> >
> > As I said above, v1 patch does that i.e. async standbys wait until the
> > sync standbys update their flush LSN.
> >
> > Flush LSN is this - flushLSN = walsndctl->lsn[SYNC_REP_WAIT_FLUSH];
> > which gets updated in SyncRepReleaseWaiters.
> >
> > Async standbys with their SendRqstPtr will wait in XLogSendPhysical or
> > XLogSendLogical until SendRqstPtr <= flushLSN.
>
> My feedback is specifically about this behavior.  I don't think we should
> spin in XLogSend*() waiting for an LSN to be synchronously replicated.  I
> think we should just choose the SendRqstPtr based on what is currently
> synchronously replicated.

Do you mean something like the following?

/* Main loop of walsender process that streams the WAL over Copy messages. */
static void
WalSndLoop(WalSndSendDataCallback send_data)
{
    /*
     * Loop until we reach the end of this timeline or the client requests to
     * stop streaming.
     */
    for (;;)
    {
        if (am_async_walsender && there_are_sync_standbys)
        {
             XLogRecPtr SendRqstLSN;
             XLogRecPtr SyncFlushLSN;

            SendRqstLSN = GetFlushRecPtr(NULL);
            LWLockAcquire(SyncRepLock, LW_SHARED);
            SyncFlushLSN = walsndctl->lsn[SYNC_REP_WAIT_FLUSH];
            LWLockRelease(SyncRepLock);

            if (SendRqstLSN > SyncFlushLSN)
               continue;
        }

        if (!pq_is_send_pending())
            send_data();  /* THIS IS WHERE XLogSendPhysical or
XLogSendLogical gets called */
        else
            WalSndCaughtUp = false;
   }