Re: Some doubious messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Some doubious messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 2:01 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found some doubious messages.
>
> catalog.c:380, 404
> > errdetail("OID candidates were checked \"%llu\"  times, but no unused OID is yet found.",
> > (errmsg("new OID has been assigned in relation \"%s\" after \"%llu\" retries",
>
> It looks strange that %llu is enclosed by double-quotes and followed by
> two spaces.

Yeah, we use double quotes for strings to separate out from the
message text, but for integers it doesn't make sense.

> pg_inherits.c:542
> > errhint("Use ALTER TABLE ... DETACH PARTITION ... FINALIZE to complete the pending detach operation")));
> pg_type.c:991
> > errhint("You can manually specify a multirange type name using the \"multirange_type_name\" attribute")));
>
> A period is missing.

Yeah, we usually end the errdetail or errhit messages with a period.

> search_cte.c: 520, 527
> > errmsg("search sequence column name and cycle mark column name are the same"),
> > errmsg("search_sequence column name and cycle path column name are the same"),
>
> The underscore in the latter seems like a typo.

Yeah.

> partbounds.c: 2871, 2902
> > errdetail("The new modulus %d is not a factor of %d, the modulus of existing partition \"%s\".",
> > errdetail("The new modulus %d is not factor of %d, the modulus of existing partition \"%s\".",
>
> The latter seems to be missing an article.

Hmmm.

> A possible fix is attched.

Patch is failing make check, it is missing to incorporate test case
output changes.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.