Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:56 PM torikoshia <torikoshia@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

> On 2021-05-13 01:08, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > On Wed, 2021-05-12 at 18:03 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> >> Since it also shows up the full query text and the plan
> >> in the server log as plain text, there are chances that the sensitive
> >> information might be logged into the server log which is a risky thing
> >> from security standpoint.
>
> Thanks for the notification!
>
> > I think that is irrelevant.
> >
> > A superuser can already set "log_statement = 'all'" to get this.
> > There is no protection from superusers, and it is pointless to require
> > that.
>
> AFAIU, since that discussion is whether or not users other than
> superusers
> should be given the privilege to execute the backtrace printing
> function,
> I think it might be applicable to pg_log_current_plan().
>
> Since restricting privilege to superusers is stricter, I'm going to
> proceed
> as it is for now, but depending on the above discussion, it may be
> better to
> change it.

Yeah, we can keep it as superuser-only for now.

Might be unrelated, but just for info - there's another thread
"Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers" at [1] discussing
the new roles.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/F9408A5A-B20B-42D2-9E7F-49CD3D1547BC%40enterprisedb.com

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.