Re: Use pg_pwritev_with_retry() instead of write() in dir_open_for_write() to avoid partial writes? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Use pg_pwritev_with_retry() instead of write() in dir_open_for_write() to avoid partial writes?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 7:43 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 1:12 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 12:11 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> > Yeah. pg_pwritev_with_retry can also be part of common/file_utils.c/.h
> > so that everyone can use it.

> > > Makes sense to me for the WAL segment pre-padding initialization, as
> > > we still want to point to the beginning of the segment after we are
> > > done with the pre-padding, and the code has an extra lseek().
> >
> > Thanks. I attached the v1 patch, please review it.
>
> Hi Bharath,
>
> +1 for moving pg_pwritev_with_retry() to file_utils.c, but I think the
> commit message should say that is happening.  Maybe the move should
> even be in a separate patch (IMHO it's nice to separate mechanical
> change patches from new logic/work patches).

Agree. I separated out the changes.

> +/*
> + * A convenience wrapper for pg_pwritev_with_retry() that zero-fills the given
> + * file of size total_sz in batches of size block_sz.
> + */
> +ssize_t
> +pg_pwritev_with_retry_and_init(int fd, int total_sz, int block_sz)
>
> Hmm, why not give it a proper name that says it writes zeroes?

Done.

> Size arguments around syscall-like facilities are usually size_t.
>
> +    memset(zbuffer.data, 0, block_sz);
>
> I believe the modern fashion as of a couple of weeks ago is to tell
> the compiler to zero-initialise.  Since it's a union you'd need
> designated initialiser syntax, something like zbuffer = { .data = {0}
> }?

Hm, but we have many places still using memset(). If we were to change
these syntaxes, IMO, it must be done separately.

> +        iov[i].iov_base = zbuffer.data;
> +        iov[i].iov_len = block_sz;
>
> How can it be OK to use caller supplied block_sz, when
> sizeof(zbuffer.data) is statically determined?  What is the point of
> this argument?

Yes, removed block_sz function parameter.

> -            dir_data->lasterrno = errno;
> +            /* If errno isn't set, assume problem is no disk space */
> +            dir_data->lasterrno = errno ? errno : ENOSPC;
>
> This coding pattern is used in places where we blame short writes on
> lack of disk space without bothering to retry.  But the code used in
> this patch already handles short writes: it always retries, until
> eventually, if you really are out of disk space, you should get an
> actual ENOSPC from the operating system.  So I don't think the
> guess-it-must-be-ENOSPC technique applies here.

Done.

Thanks for reviewing. PSA v2 patch-set. Also,I added a CF entry
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/39/3803/ to give the patches a
chance to get tested.

--
Bharath Rupireddy