Re: CREATE SEQUENCE with RESTART option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: CREATE SEQUENCE with RESTART option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 6:04 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:
> At best CREATE SEQUENCE .... START ... RESTART ... can be a shorthand
> for CREATE SEQUENCE ... START; ALTER SEQUENCE ... RESTART run back to
> back. So it looks useful but in rare cases.

I personally feel that let's not mix up START and RESTART in CREATE
SEQUENCE. If required, users will run ALTER SEQUENCE RESTART
separately, that will be a clean way.

> Said all that I agree that if we are supporting CREATE SEQUENCE ...
> RESTART then we should document it, correctly. If that's not the
> intention, we should disallow RESTART with CREATE SEQUENCE.

As I mentioned upthread, it's better to disallow (throw error) if
RESTART is specified for CREATE SEQUENCE. Having said that, I would
like to hear from others.

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.