Re: Improve the HINT message of the ALTER command for postgres_fdw - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Improve the HINT message of the ALTER command for postgres_fdw
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM bt21masumurak
<bt21masumurak@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> When 'ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER OPTIONS' is executed against
> postgres_fdw, the HINT message is printed as shown below, even though
> there are no valid options in this context.
>
> =# ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER postgres_fdw OPTIONS (format 'csv');
> ERROR: invalid option "format"
> HINT: Valid options in this context are:
>
> I made a patch for this problem.

Good catch. It seems like the change proposed for
postgres_fdw_validator is similar to what file_fdw is doing in
file_fdw_validator. I think we also need to do the same change in
dblink_fdw_validator and postgresql_fdw_validator as well.

While on this, it's better to add test cases for the error message
"There are no valid options in this context." for all the three fdws
i.e. file_fdw, postgres_fdw and dblink_fdw may be in their respective
contrib modules test files, and for postgresql_fdw_validator in
src/test/regress/sql/foreign_data.sql.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.