Re: Improve the HINT message of the ALTER command for postgres_fdw - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bharath Rupireddy
Subject Re: Improve the HINT message of the ALTER command for postgres_fdw
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:11 PM Fujii Masao
<masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> BTW, I found file_fdw.c, dblink.c, postgres_fdw/option.c and foreign.c
> use different error codes for the same error message as follows.
> They should use the same error code? If yes, ISTM that
> ERRCODE_FDW_INVALID_OPTION_NAME is better because
> the error message is "invalid option ...".
>
> - ERRCODE_FDW_INVALID_OPTION_NAME (file_fdw.c)
> - ERRCODE_FDW_OPTION_NAME_NOT_FOUND (dblink.c)
> - ERRCODE_FDW_INVALID_OPTION_NAME (postgres_fdw/option.c)
> - ERRCODE_SYNTAX_ERROR (foreign.c)

Good catch. ERRCODE_FDW_INVALID_OPTION_NAME seems reasonable to me. I
think we can remove the error code ERRCODE_FDW_OPTION_NAME_NOT_FOUND
(it is being used only by dblink.c), instead use
ERRCODE_FDW_INVALID_OPTION_NAME for all option parsing and
validations.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.