Re: Postgres configuration for 8 CPUs, 6 GB RAM - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Crooke
Subject Re: Postgres configuration for 8 CPUs, 6 GB RAM
Date
List pgsql-performance
Asif:

1. 6GB is pretty small .... once you work through the issues, adding RAM will probably be a good investment, depending on your time-working set curve.

A quick rule of thumb is this:

- if your cache hit ratio is significantly larger than (cache size / db size) then there is locality of reference among queries, and if the hit ratio is less than high 90's percent, then there is a high probablility that adding incremental RAM for caching by the OS and/or PG itself will make things significantly better; this applies to both database-wide averages and individual slow query types.

- Look for long-running queries spilling merges and sorts to disk; if these are a concern then adding RAM and leaving it out of the buffer cache but setting larger work_mem sizes will improve their performance

2. You also need to consider how many queries are running concurrently; limiting the number of concurrent executions to a strict number e.g. by placing the database behind a connection pooler. By avoiding contention for disk head seeking

3. If I/O is a real bottleneck, especially random access, you might consider more drives

4. If the data access is truly all over the place, or you have lots of queries which touch large chucnks of the data, then depending on your budget, a cheap high RAM machine built from a desktop motherboard which will allow you have e.g. 128GB of RAM in low cost modules and thus have the entire DB in RAM is definitely worth considering as a replica server on which to offload some queries. I priced this out at around US$2000 here in America using high quality parts.

These performance tweaks are all of course interrelated ... e.g. if the access patterns are amenable to caching, then adding RAM will reduce I/O load without any further changes, and item 3. may cease to be a problem.

Be careful of the bottleneck issue ... if you're a long way from the performance you need, then fixing one issue will expose another etc. until every part of the system is quick enough to keep up.

Don't forget that your time is worth money too, and throwing more hardware at it is one of many viable strategies.

Cheers
Dave

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Syed Asif Tanveer
<asif.tanveer@analytics.com.pk> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am using PostgreSQL 9.1.5 for Data warehousing and OLAP puposes. Data size
> is around 100 GB and I have tuned my PostgreSQL accordingly still I am
> facing performance issues. The query performance is too low despite tables
> being properly indexed and are vacuumed and analyzed at regular basis. CPU
> usage never exceeded 15% even at peak usage times. Kindly guide me through
> if there are any mistakes in setting configuration parameters. Below are my
> system specs and please find attached my postgresql configuration parameters
> for current system.

I notice that you've got autovac nap time of 60 minutes, so it's
possible you've managed to bloat your tables a fair bit.  What do you
get running the queries from this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Show_database_bloat