Connection limit exceeded for non-superusers when there are plenty of available slots - Mailing list pgsql-general

From G B
Subject Connection limit exceeded for non-superusers when there are plenty of available slots
Date
List pgsql-general
We have a number of applications using a production database under a super
user account. I've created a new (non-super) user account and if I try to
login using this account I get the
"Non-superuser connection limit exceeded" error. I'm aware of the
postgresql.conf settings for max user connections etc. Here are the queries
I ran (under super user) when the login exception occurs.

 SELECT usesuper, count(*) FROM pg_stat_activity JOIN pg_user USING
 (usesysid) GROUP BY usesuper;

62

  SHOW superuser_reserved_connections;

480

  SHOW max_connections;
 500

Is there something I'm missing here?   Thanks for your help.

Here's my  OS + Postgres

Ubuntu x86_64 , Postgres 8.4.8