pglogical: Segmentation fault when using last_update_wins - Mailing list pgsql-cluster-hackers

From Jelle Ouwerkerk
Subject pglogical: Segmentation fault when using last_update_wins
Date
List pgsql-cluster-hackers
Hi,

This is a cross-post of this issue on pglogical's github site. There doesn't seem to be much activity on that site so I'm trying my luck here.

I'd like to know if using pglogical to do multi-master replication is sane. The docs say that it is not supported: "pglogical does not provide multi-master replication". If so then this is probably not a bug.

I'm experimenting with a 2-node bidirectional replication using pglogical 1.1.2 and PostgreSQL 9.5. I'm able to consistently cause a seg fault when I set pglogical.conflict_resolution = 'last_update_wins', and when either:
  • Executing simultaneous identical UPDATE statements on both nodes (using psql and terminator) or
  • Disabling both subscriptions, executing UPDATE statements on both nodes (that will cause a conflict) and then re-enabling one or both subscriptions.
More details can be found in the original post. So far in my testing this is the only issue I've encountered using pglogical to do multi-master replication.

Using BDR would be ideal: I'm looking for async multi-master replication. But using a patched PostgreSQL 9.4 is a show-stopper.

Should I just wait for a future version of PostgreSQL to have a better integration with BDR?

Thank you,

...Jelle

This email or any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the addressees. Any use, redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this information, except as intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and remove all copies of the message, including any attachments.