Re: Replaying xlogs from beginning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From otheus uibk
Subject Re: Replaying xlogs from beginning
Date
List pgsql-general

You're assuming that the only significant aspect of initdb's output that can vary from run to run is the database system ID.

I prefer to call it "optimistic prediction". But yes. :)

> If you're lucky this technique will work, but it's not reliable and not supported.  You really need to take an initial base backup after running initdb.

Thanks, but it's too late in retrospect.  Since that is the case, to whom can I make a feature request that initdb have an implicitly enabled option to make this base backup?

OK, back to question. Provided the system is the same, the postgresql executable and libraries are identical, the locales are unchanged, we have:

1.  bitwise variances in the system catalog

-- can be solved with David's suggestion of full dump/restore after the steps I listed. Confer?

2.  other things you couldn't think of yet.

-- anything come to mind yet?