Re: can we avoid pg_basebackup on planned switches? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sergey Konoplev
Subject Re: can we avoid pg_basebackup on planned switches?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have we just avoided running pg_basebackup, or have we just given ourselves
>> data corruption?
>
> If you change your operations in the above-mentioned way, I think you can
> avoid pg_basebackup on the planned switch. I've not tested your operations.
> So please test them carefully before applying them to your system.

It is really hopeful.

So are there any thoughts of how to make sure that after performing
the changed process there are no data corruption on the new replica
(ex-master)?

ps. BTW do not we need to CHECKPOINT the old replica after copying all
the WAL files from the stopped master and before promoting it (the old
replica) to a new master?